Tomato stew is one of the major staple foods in Africa. Tomato stew can easily be use as a side dish or as an ingredient in some numbers of meals. Nevertheless, it has a number of shortcomings, health-wise when compared to a vegetable sauce.
However, this may sound surprising as lovers of tomato stew may want to put up a defence that tomato being the major ingredient in the stew is a very good source of antioxidants, vitamin C and A, Iron and Vitamin B, lycopene, beta-carotene etc. That’s wonderful, but looking at the following logical reasons, you would come to agree with the fact that vegetable sauce is more nutritious and healthier when compared to tomato stew.
Top 9 Reasons Why Sauce Is Better Than Tomato Stew.
- Most times, making tomato stew involves a long slow process of simmering foods in liquid especially oil; and oil is bad for our heart.
- Eating tomato stew increases our intake of oil. For those who fry with a large amount of oil, stands to consume a lot of oil. This tends to build over the years from childhood causing accumulation of cholesterol. Not only sounds scary but can prompt high blood pressure or heart failure.
- Usually, the method of cooking tomato stew is either frying or boiling and this often kills the nutrients in the food. There is thus a loss of huge amount of nutrients contained in the tomato; hence, we have little or no nutrients left in the stew.
- When it comes to sauce, depending on the type, all are superb. The sauce gives you the opportunity to combine various veggies such as cabbage, lettuce, spring onions, green beans, green pepper etc., which offer a whole new level of nutrients – boosting our health and helping to fight off diseases.
- In preparing most sauce, you only required your meat stock, little ingredient and boiling which is far way better than frying. There is, in fact, no need for oil. Have you ever wondered how fabulous your health status will be like when you observed a “no oil meal” over time? Then, opt for a vegetable sauce.
- Making sauce requires just a little cooking. This makes the cooking ingredients secure and intact.
- Thankfully, veggies are very low in calories and fat. They are highly beneficial for weight control and management.
- The vegetable sauce gives you a delicious way to incorporate varieties of vegetable into your diet. This is good for persons who feel it is inconvenient to eat vegetables.
- The sauce taste is simply natural. Remember, taste is everything. Veggies are rich in fibre which keeps the digestive system healthy; decreases the risk of heart diseases and fight cancer. Fibres also reduce the reabsorption of cholesterol produced by the body to help with the digestion of fat thus lowering cholesterol (Otlas and Ozgoz 2004).